Frequently Asked Questions


Q. Where do I vote?
A.All voters vote in Town Hall, lower level…District 1 is in the “Boy Scout Room” and Districts 2 and 3 are in the “Senior Center”.

Q. Whom do I contact for Affordable Housing in Cranbury Township? 
A. Affordable Housing development and construction is provided by Cranbury Housing Associates, P.O. Box 603, Cranbury, New Jersey 08512, (609) 786-1102.

Q. Who provides water to Cranbury Township? 
A. New Jersey American Water Company, 1-800-272-1325 or (908) 654-1234.

Q. Who provides Cable Service to Cranbury Township? 
A. Comcast Cable Company, (609) 655-1300.


Q. What is the Environmental Commission?
A.The Environmental Commission was established in 1972 for the purpose of protecting, developing, and using natural resources within the Township. The Commission is not a regulatory body, but it is responsible for providing review and recommendations on open-space preservation, water-resource management, air-pollution control, solid-waste management, noise control, soil and landscape protection, and protections of flora and fauna.

Q. How many members are there?
A. The Environmental Commission consists of seven members appointed by the Mayor for terms of three years. One member is to be selected from the membership of the Planning Board. In addition to the regular members, two alternates are appointed. The terms of the alternate members are for two years. An alternate member may participate in discussions of the proceedings but may not vote except in the absence or the disqualification of a regular member. All members must be residents of the Township.

Q. Does the Environmental Commission have regular meetings?
A. The Environmental Commission meets in the Town Hall at 7:00 p.m. on the third Monday of every month, unless noticed otherwise.

Q. Do I have to be a member to participate?
A. No! The Environmental Commission welcomes participation in our meetings and projects by any interested residents.

Q. What are some of the things I could participate in?
A. You can attend a meeting and learn about current issues and projects. You can volunteer to help with any of our current activities, including water sampling, storm-drain labeling, stormwater-pollution prevention, and development of the Environmental Resources Inventory.

Q. What is the Cranbury Brook Preserve?
A. A portion of the West Property has been set aside for passive recreation and the preservation of natural lands in the heart of Cranbury. The preserved area is approximately 14 acres, on the north side of the Cranbury Brook. This area is complemented by previously preserved Green Acres lands along the brook, as well as a restricted portion of the Barclay South property bordering the brook. You can visit the Cranbury Brook Preserve via the driveway to the soccer fields from Main Street. Entrances to the Preserve are on the left as you approach the playing fields. You can also visit the south side of the Cranbury Brook at Unami Woods Park. This preserved natural area is on Wynnewood Drive at the end of Woodview Drive.

Q. What can I do in the Cranbury Brook Preserve?
A. The Environmental Commission encourages you to visit and enjoy these natural areas in the heart of our town. The Township has established the Preserve for passive recreation such as walking, jogging, bird watching, fishing, and the enjoyment of nature. Please note that the Preserve is closed to motorized vehicles. Animals must be leashed, and there is no picnicking, camping, or open fires (except by permit). Please do not disturb the animals or the natural habitat. You can help keep these areas clean by carrying out any trash you see.

Historic Preservation Commission

The Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) has compiled a list of frequently asked questions that will help when filing a Certificate of Approval (CoA) application. Click here for questions and answers.


Q. When can I pick up a police report?
A. Weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Contact the Administrative Assistant to the Chief of Police, Lauren Grogan at (609) 395-0031 ext. 7700 for further information.

Q. Where is the court located?
A. The court is located at 641 Plainsboro Road (the Plainsboro Township Municipal Building) in Plainsboro Township. The phone number is (609) 799-0863.

Q. Can I pay my traffic summons on-line?
A. Yes, go to the Motor Vehicle Commission website for more information.

Q. Where can I pick up a firearms ID card or a purchase permit?
A. You may call the Detective Bureau for an appointment at (609) 395-0031. Select Option (2 ) and then Option (5).

Q. Where can I file a traffic or criminal complaint?
A. Please call (609) 395-0031 and inform the police dispatcher that you want to file a complaint. You may make an appointment to speak with an officer or detective. Once a police report has been completed, proceed to the Plainsboro Municipal Court to sign the complaint.


Q. What can I do with my grass clippings?
A. Lawn experts at Rutgers University recommend cutting the grass and leaving it on the lawn. Another use is to put the clippings on the soil around plantings to reduce weed growth, moderate soil temperature and conserve moisture.

Q. I think there is a wild animal living under my shed! Who do I call?
A. Call the Cranbury Township Animal Control Division. They may be reached through the Police Department at 395-0031.

Q. When can I put my branches at the curb for the chipping service?
A. The chipping of branches and brush occurs on the third Wednesday each month. Residents can place the items curbside for the chipping service the weekend prior.

Q. When are leaves collected?
A. Leaves are collected in the spring and fall. The spring leaf collection usually occurs during the entire month of April. The fall leaf schedule usually begins near the end of October and is a continual process up until December 30th. During the last and final week of both schedules, when your curbside leaf piles have been collected by the DPW, it is requested that you do not replenish it. 

Q. Why can’t I place my leaves near the storm drains?
A. The storm drains on the streets play an important role. They help channel rain water from the streets into our streams and waterways. It is vital that the storm drains be clear of leaves and debris. If you have a storm drain near your property, take a few moments to clear away any collected debris that may impede the flow of storm water.


Q. When are taxes due?
A.Taxes are due on the 1st of February, May, August & November. There is a 10 day grace period at which time interest will accrue as of the 1st of the month.

Q. Will I receive quarterly tax bills?
A. No. You will receive one bill in the middle of the year, which will have four quarters on it.

Q.Will I receive reminders that taxes are due?
A. No. However, you will receive a delinquent notice if your taxes are not paid.

Q. My bank or mortgage company pays my taxes so why am I receiving a delinquent notice?
A. Even though your bank pays your taxes you are still liable for the taxes. This way you know that your bank or mortgage company isn't paying your taxes and you should call them. Your bank or mortgage company also receives delinquent notices.

Q. Why do I have to pay interest if my bank or mortgage company didn’t pay the taxes?

Q. I didn’t receive my end of year statement for the taxes I paid?
A. We do not send out year end statements. 

Q. Do you accept memo bills and is there a charge?
A. Yes, we accept them and there is no charge. 

Q. Is there a different tax rate for residential and commercial?
A. No.  Everyone's tax bill has the same tax rate on it.

Q. Do you have personal property taxes?
A. No.

Q. Do you accept the postmark?
A. No. The payment must be in the Tax Collector’s office by the 10th of the month that the taxes are due.  If it is after the 10th interest will be charged and applied before principal.

Q. When do Added Assessment bills go out?
A. Added Assessment bills go out in October and the 1st payment is due November 1st. The next two payments on the bill are due the 1st of February & May of the following year.

Q. When I receive an Added Assessment bill do I only pay that bill?
A. No.  You will have the original bill, you received 3 to 4 months prior to the added bill, and the added assessment bill to pay. This means you will have two or more bills to pay on November 1st and 2 bills to pay on the 1st of February & May. 

Q. Will I always have to pay two bills?
A. No. When the next new billing goes out after the added assessment bill it will all be combined on one bill. However, if you do an improvement to your home i.e. deck or pool you will receive an added assessment bill for the new improvement.

Q. I received a tax bill and my bank or mortgage company pays my taxes.
A. Forward your tax bill to the entity responsible for paying your taxes and contact the Tax Collector with the appropriate information.

Q. I did not receive a tax bill I only received an advice copy and I pay my own taxes.
A. Do not wait for a tax bill. Call the Tax Collector for a bill. This means the previous entity that paid your taxes did not notify us of the change.

Q. I just purchased my house and never received a tax bill.
A. You should have been given the tax bill at the time of closing. However, if you weren’t do not wait for one and call the Tax Collector. We have no way of knowing you do not have one.

Q. I purchased my house during the year and I need to know how much taxes I paid and how much the previous owner paid.
A. This should be on your closing statement. If you can’t find it call your Attorney should handle all the prorating of taxes for closings.