Cranbury Recreation Commission

Minutes:  10-27-2005

 

Attendance:  Edith Dlugokencki, Mario Fiorentini, Beth Veghte, Ken Jacobs, Bob O’Meara, Michele Harcher, Rose Siconolfi, and Chris Fiorentini

 

The meeting was called to order at 8:00 p.m.

 

Review of Minutes:

09-29-05 – The minutes from 09-29-05 were approved as amended by a motion made by Mario Fiorentini and seconded by Edith Dlugokencki.  The vote was 3-0 in favor.  Motion carried.

 

OLD BUSINESS

 

1.  Battle of the Bands

Chris stated that there are 6 to 7 bands that are interested.  Beth asked who would be handling the registrations.  Chris will come up a registration form.  Ken suggested we get a demo tape from each of bands.  Beth suggested getting a consultant to help organize the event. Beth asked that Chris get a committee together and bring them to the next meeting. Chris asked that recreation provide the refreshments.  Michele will check with Nottingham to see how they did theirs.  Beth and Ken would like to have registration forms and guidelines together for December 15th meeting.   Beth asked Chris to attend the next meeting to discuss further.   

 

2.  Discussion of fees/park reservations

Beth suggested that the organizations should be charged a fee for use of the fields.  Ken said that the organizations should give us a roster of all the teams so we can verify residency of the children.  Bob said we should charge the non residents.   If the organizations are using the fields they should help pay for the up keep of the fields.   Beth asked Ken to have something together for the next meeting so Beth can take it to Parks for review.

 

3.  Soccer: UK Elite

Ken will invite them to the February Meeting for a presentation.  Bob and Ken said that they are very good.

 

4.  Millstone Fields

At the end of November we should close down the field for the winter.   Bob suggested that the goals be moved in the spring to give a chance for the grass to come back.  Beth said that we should have a plan of what we want to do so we can give it to Tom Witt.

 

5.  Bike Path

Next meeting.

 

6.  Skate Park

Next meeting.

 

7.  Needs Assessment

Michele is still working on. 

 

8.  Babe Ruth Field

Beth said that work should start soon. 

 

9.  Part Time Site Supervisor

Job description is done.  Beth will talk to Tom Witt.

 

10.  Web Page

Nothing to report

 

11.  2006 Summer Concert/Movies dates

Beth gave a preliminary schedule for next years concerts and movies dates.   It was discussed that possibly having the winners of the Battle of the Bands perform. Beth said she would like to start advertising for this in the January and March newsletters. Ken will schedule the movie guy to attend the February meeting.

 

12.  Camp Out – June 3

Beth stated the camp out will be June 3rd in Village Park, and there will be movie shown.  Bob has found someone for the bathroom situation for the camp out, he will contact him and invite him to a meeting to discuss.  Beth asked Ken to have something together for the January newsletter.

 

13.  DEP Livable Communities Program Funds

Ken said the he tried to look on the website for information and he could not find anything.  He believes this is a seasonal item.  Rose stated she knew someone who could help.  Ken will look into this further.

 

14.  Computer Program Adjustments

Ken contacted Jane and she is working on the changes.

 

15.  Additional Playing Fields

Beth said that the Township Committee had the Haggerty property on the agenda and said this will be our first opening for open space.

 

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

1.  Policy: Field Closings & Field Maintenance

Beth thinks that we need to start a policy or a procedure for closing of the fields due to weather.   Ken will come up with a policy. We should see if we can use the school field before we consider closing a field for maintenance-because there won't be enough fields available. Bob doesn’t think we can or should close any of the fields in the spring for maintenance.   Beth will talk to the school about there fields.

 

2.  Cranbury Hoops

High School hoops started.  Beth said there weren’t many kids but it should pick up.  The younger kids will be starting.  The deadline for registrations is October 28, 2005.

 

3.  Park Update

Signs are almost done and they should go up sometime in the winter.  Beth needs to look into to make sure we are up to date on our equipment.  The swing sets all have been replaced.  Jay Joyce stated that the swings are fine.

 

4.  Golden Agers

Rose says that on November 14th they have a trip and the Christmas party will be in December. 

 

 

5.  Senior Fellowship

September there was a trip to the Pennsbury Manor, home of William Penn and in October they went to Terhune Orchards.

 

6.  Recreation Master Plan

We will start talking about how kids play soccer from Vinnie.  Beth will call Joan Wiedner to find out from her how many kids play.  Mario stated that a Hightstown team is very interested using one of our fields for there home field.  Beth is going to try and come up with some numbers so we can start to figure out what needs to be done.  Beth said she would suggest that we change the direction of the baseball field in Millstone. Beth thinks by doing this we should get some more field space for soccer.  Mario suggested that the little league bring something to the board for changes to the field.

 

7.  Other

Bob suggested that we address Vinnie and Lifeskills about use of the fields.  Beth thinks by spring we will have the fields split up right so practices and games can be scheduled correctly.  Ken said that we should have signs that state the fields can only be used if you have a permit.  Bob said we need to get new goals for Millstone.  Ken said that is in the budget for next year.  Beth told Bob to get what we need and he will be reimbursed or Ken can order them.

 

The meeting adjourned at 9:55 p.m.

 

The next meeting is scheduled for December 15, 2005. 

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

Michele Harcher

Recording Secretary