MINUTES

OF THE

CRANBURY TOWNSHIP

HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION

CRANBURY, NEW JERSEY

MIDDLESEX COUNTY

 

TIME AND PLACE OF MEETING

The regular meeting of the Cranbury Township Historic Preservation Commission was held at the Town Hall, Cranbury, New Jersey, on May 2, 2006 at 7:30 p.m.

 

STATEMENT OF ADEQUATE NOTICE

Pursuant of the Sunshine Law, adequate notice in accordance with the Open Public Meetings Act (N.J.S.A. 10:4-5) was provided on January 4, 2006 of this meeting’s date, time, place and agenda was mailed to the news media, posted on the Township bulletin board, mailed to those requesting personal notice and filed with the Municipal Clerk.

 

CALL TO ORDER

With a quorum present, Chair Bobbie Marlowe called the meeting to order, and, Linda M. Scott, Secretary for the Commission, performed as Secretary.

 

MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE

Kate McConnell, Diane Stasi, Alana Stops, Harry Williams and Chair Bobbie Marlowe, were present. 

 

MINUTES

The minutes of April 18, 2006 meeting were reviewed and amended.  A motion was made by Kate McConnell to accept the minutes as amended, second by Bobbie Marlowe, with all in favor with the exception of Diane Stasi, who recused herself from voting on the minutes.

 

APPLICATIONS

            7 Evans Drive,  (B34,L5) In Buffer Zone;  Owner Jim Gerberich was present for discussion of his Cape Cod.  He proposes to add 3 dormers, centered, on the front elevation.  These dormers will have cement board siding.  The shingles will be Timberline 40 dimensional to match existing.  Windows will be 6/6 Woodright.  A portico will be installed over the front entrance with square columns on each side.  A proposed new front door, Thermatur 6 panel with dual lites on the top, will be installed.  Two new garage doors will be installed with door hinges to give the appearance of carriage doors.  After discussion and review of this application, a verbal vote call to approve the application with a corrected portico roof pitch was taken:

            Ayes: Ms. Marlowe, Ms. McConnell, Ms. Stasi, Ms. Stops, Mr. Williams

 

            50 Maplewood Avenue, (B33,L9) In Historic District, Class C/C-;  Owner Robert Christopher was present for his shed and fencing application.  A picture of the proposed 8’ x 12’ shed shows painted trim on the double center swing open doors.  The corners and cornices trim work are painted black.  Two jalousie windows with shutters flank each side of the doors.  HPC feels that this prefab gambled roof shed is not proportionately correct, stylistically or the correct material for this site.  HPC also wishes not to set precedent with installation of this style shed.  HPC viewed the pre-existing barn and gave particulars, such as the material siding and roof pitch for homeowner to look for when deciding on a shed.

Tim Brennan was on hand to offer a website - www.betterbarns.com.  Secretary will supply a picture of the pre-existing barn to homeowner. 

 

Applications (cont.)

            The proposed fencing will be a 4’ cedar picket installed in front (west) on both sides of the home.  A 6’ stockade fence will be installed on backside (east) of property.  A verbal vote to approve the fence and deny the shed was taken.

Ayes: Ms. Marlowe, Ms. McConnell, Ms. Stasi, Ms. Stops, Mr. Williams

 

            19 Bunker Hill, (B23,L14.01) In Historic District;  An application was submitted and received on April 24, 2006 for the removal of existing 2 layers of roofing shingles and replace with Oakridge PRO 30 year architectural shingles.  This application could be considered a minor application, except that the proposed shingle style is different from existing.  After review of application, a verbal vote call to approve the application was taken.

            Ayes: Ms. Marlowe, Ms. McConnell, Ms. Stasi, Ms. Stops, Mr. Williams

 

MINOR APPLICATION

            13 North Main Street, (B23,L67) In Historic District; a minor application was received for an ordinary repair to replace 3 to 4 pieces of wooden siding, replacing with the same.  Application approved by the Administrative Officer on May 2, 2006

 

DISCUSSION

10 Park Place, Tim Brennan attended to present several drawings of roofline renderings, which detail the addition from Park Place viewing the proposed addition beyond the one story wing.  The wing will keep its flat roof.  Due to the mass and proportions of his proposed addition, it was recognized that the proposed could easily detract from the existing.  HPC encouraged him to speak with an experienced architect for conceptuals of this Greek Revival home.  

Tim also presented a flooring product by Tandora, which is a tongue and groove pylon material, which he would like to use as a replacement solution on his front porch.  HPC looked at the sample provided.  A question was raised of how the finished edge would look.  Tim felt that a bull nose or a strip of the Tandora could be secured with nails to give it a finished look.  HPC thought this product would be a suitable solution.  Diane Stasi had recused herself from all discussions of 10 Park Place.

            13 North Main Street, Bobbie Marlowe presented a conceptual for a sign that will replace existing.  The content includes name of business, slogan, website, and a phone number all in different sizes and font styles.  HPC reviewed and discussed the content and feels that one font would be more pleasing.  Bobbie will take this information to the tenant.

            On April 24, Diane and Bobbie met to amend the current draft for the Certificate of Approval (CoA).  Secretary had made the updated changes; HPC will review for additional editing.  The placard will be drafted by the next meeting.

            Kate noticed that 6 Maplewood Avenue is having work performed.  It was stated that this is preliminary work for research on the brackets.  The homeowner will be coming to HPC with sketches of proposed bracket work and findings. 

            Harry raised a concern regarding a resolution for Don Jo Swanagan.  Bobbie stated that she briefly spoke with Richard and Pari of this issue.  HPC would like Don Jo to be recognized for his contribution to Cranbury on behalf of HPC.  He has been an inspiration and an asset with his experience and background.  Secretary will email the clerk information about Don Jo that may be included in a resolution.

Kate gave an update on the barns.  She stated that Alana Stops is now helping with the task of completing the grant.  There will be a subcommittee meeting this Wednesday evening.  Letters supporting the barn renovations will be collected from various organizations in town and will be included with the grant application.  HPC will write a letter supporting the cause.  A copy of the

 

Discussion (cont.)

Heritage Studies referencing the barns will be made for Kate to be included with the grant.  Cranbury resident and architect, Bill Gittings, has volunteered to draw the barns.  The Lions Club has expressed their interest in the Dutch barn.  Mike Kaiser leads this project.  

Kate spoke of the Historic District.  The Township of Cranbury is now Certified Local Government compliant; grant funds can be obtained to update the National Register nomination for the classification of each building in the district and for boundary re-evaluation.  In August 1989, Heritage Studies performed the last document and classification study, which is still referenced as applications are received.

 

ADJOURNMENT OF MEETING

There being no further business, on motion duly made by Bobbie Marlowe, seconded by Alana Stops, and carried, the meeting was thereupon adjourned at 9:55 pm.

 

CERTIFICATE OF SECRETARY

I, Undersigned, do hereby certify;

That I am duly acting secretary of the Cranbury Township Historic Preservation Commission and,

That the foregoing minutes, of the Historic Preservation Commission, held on May 2, 2006, consisting of 3 pages, constitutes a true and correct copy of the minutes of the said meeting.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto do subscribe, my name of said Historic Preservation Commission this May 17, 2006.

 

 

 

__________________________________________

Linda M. Scott, Secretary